Thursday, June 13, 2013

Watch Rodgers get grilled by nine-year-old Liverpool fan... but what did he say when asked who is his club's naughtiest player?

As the manager of one of the world’s biggest football clubs, Brendan Rodgers is used to fielding tough questions. 
But he won’t get many grillings like this one by nine-year-old fan Finn.
The cheeky young Liverpool supporter asked Rodgers which of his players is the ‘naughtiest’ - no prizes for guessing the curt response was Luis Suarez - and requested whether he’d have a word to persuade Jamie Carragher out of retirement.

Rodgers looked a little awkward when Finn asked him to name his favourite current Liverpool player, before answering diplomatically: ‘I have to love them all.’ 
The Liverpool boss, who oversaw a seventh place finish in the Barclays Premier League last season, one position below rivals Everton, wouldn’t even name his favourite club legend. 
But there wasn’t much love for Finn’s favourite player Suarez, who seems desperate to move away from Anfield after being condemned over the Branislav Ivanovic biting incident. 
When asked: ‘Who’s the most naughtiest?’ Rodgers replied simply: ‘Luis Suarez. He’s the naughtiest.’
And just as Rodgers thought the cross-examination was coming to an end, Finn asked if he could do anything about Carragher’s decision to hang up his boots.
‘I think it would be very. very difficult,’ the manager replied. ‘He’s been a brilliant player for Liverpool for many seasons. 
‘I think this is the season where his life goes in a different direction. I think whatever I say, it wouldn’t change his mind.’

Read the full transcript of Brendan Rodgers' interview with a young Liverpool fan

So, let’s get started. Is being the Liverpool manager the best job ever?
Yes, it’s a brilliant job and I’m very lucky to manage the club and work with great players and obviously speak with lots of great supporters. 

My favourite Liverpool player is Luis Suarez. Who is yours? 
Them all, I have to love them all. They are all fantastic players, otherwise they wouldn’t be at Liverpool. And it’s my job to make them better. 

All right then. Who’s your favourite ever ex-Liverpool player?
That’s a tough one because there’s so many, so many brilliant players from the past here so it would probably would be unfair for me to say one. 

When I’m naughty, my mum bans me from playing on my PlayStation 3. What do you do when the players are naughty?
Well we have a set of rules that all the players have to go by, and if they step out of line and they break the rules, we fine them. We take some money off them and the money goes to charity.
Who’s the most naughtiest?
Luis Suarez. He’s the most naughtiest.
I get £5 pocket money a week. If I gave you £5, what would you buy and why? 
If I had £5, what would I buy? Erm, I’m not sure what I would do. Knowing me, I would probably save it [laughs].
When I grow up, I want to play like Luis Suarez. Who did you want to be like when you were younger?
When I was younger, the most favourite player I had was Diego Maradona because he was left-footed and he was very skilful. I used to love watching him as a football player so it would be Diego Maradona. 
If you had noticed, I have come in my Liverpool tracksuit. I know I’m a bit young to play for Liverpool but do you think I could be useful on the training pitch? 
Yes, one day you could play for Liverpool. One day, Steven Gerrard was nine years old and so was Jamie Carragher and Luis Suarez and Pepe Reina. So one day, maybe you could grow to be a player and play at Anfield and clap to the Kop. 
I haven’t told anyone about this question, but I really don’t want Jamie Carragher to retire. Do you think you can do anything about it? 
I think it would be very. very difficult. He’s been a brilliant player for Liverpool for many seasons. I think this is the season where his life goes in a different direction. I think whatever I say, it wouldn’t change his mind. 
Well, I’ve run out of questions, but thanks for meeting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment