Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Navas believes the Premier League is the perfect setting after midfielder completes £15m Man City switch

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Spain winger Jesus Navas from Sevilla.
It is understood the 27-year-old World Cup-winner has signed a four-year contract after City agreed to pay the Spanish club an initial £14.9million.
The deal had been expected since Sevilla announced they had sanctioned Navas' sale to the Barclays Premier League outfit last week.

The transfer has now been completed after Navas successfully underwent a medical in New York, where he is currently with the Spain squad for a friendly against the Republic of Ireland.
He is then involved at the Confederations Cup in Brazil with Spain and will link up with his new City team-mates after a short holiday.
Navas told the club's website, mcfc.co.uk: "Manchester City is an exciting project and this is the right moment for me to take this step. I'm very happy with the opportunity and the decision.
'The Premier League is a competition where the football is very fast and will suit the way I play. I'm really looking forward to it.
'I'm going to a great club in England and I want to continue developing my game there.
'The club has put a lot of faith in me and I want to repay them out on the pitch.'
Navas' arrival takes City's summer signing to close to £45million following the capture of Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk last week.
News of his signing is likely to be followed by confirmation that Manuel Pellegrini is to take over as manager.
The 59-year-old Chilean's appointment has been expected since he left Malaga last week and, despite the perceived delay, is still thought to be a formality.
Navas has spent his entire career to date with Sevilla and has twice won the UEFA Cup. He also has Champions League experience having played in the competition in 2009.
He did have problems with homesickness in his younger days, and his international career was affected because of it, but those issues are now firmly in the past.
When asked how he would adapt to life in Manchester, he said: "I think I will be fine.
'I love what I do, which is to play football. For me the most important thing is to be able to enjoy it as much as possible because we have a great squad.'
City appear to be embarking on a summer of restructure after regressing since winning the Premier League in 2012.

Navas believes there are exciting times ahead.
Asked about the reasons for his move, he said: 'I won some important titles with Sevilla but the Champions League is something you always have in mind, also to enjoy the Premier League and to have a really strong year.
'Truth is this is a dream for me and a challenge to play for a club like Manchester City and fight for titles and everything that comes with that.
'Considering everything, it was the confidence that I could play there and the truth is I am very happy to play for such a big club.
'Individually, above all, City have so many good players and the idea of playing there with such amazing players and fighting for a title - because I feel we have a good team to do that.'
Navas will join fellow Spain international David Silva at Eastlands and bolster the club's array of attacking talent.
Navas said of Silva: 'We get along pretty well. When he found out I was coming here he was very happy.
'I know he enjoys the city and the club has a great team.'

No comments:

Post a Comment